Thursday, January 22, 2009

Presidential Proverbs

So we have a new president, and I'm by no means thrilled. My biggest problem, though, isn't the incoming president, but rather the shameful treatment of our outgoing president by our citizens. I don't have the emotional fortitude to re-hash in detail the insults he received by the inaugural crowd, lambasting articles and websites, or even the various disparaging remarks made by my so-called Christian friends.

As shameful conduct is pleasure for a fool, so wisdom is for a man of understanding. - Proverbs 10:23

I also don't have the time to defend President Bush and point out all the virtuous aspects of his presidency because it honestly wouldn't make a difference.
A fool does not delight in understanding, but only wants to show off his opinions. - Proverbs 18:2

Instead, I'm just going to pray. Firstly, I pray that our new president will accomplish the will of God for our nation and this world, that he'll be given the wisdom and strength necessary for completing his task, and that he'll be protected from attacks by the enemy. And secondly, I pray that those who were and continue to be disrespectful towards our former president will earn back twice as much disrespect from their children and peers during their lifetimes.

But in order to end this entry on a positive note, here's a proverb I find particularly comforting at a time such as this:

A king's heart is a water channel in the LORD's hand: He directs it wherever He chooses. - Proverbs 21:1

No comments: